Days ago I stood in line at the post office behind a man I presumed to be in his mid- to late-40s. Suddenly, he turned to me and began making small talk about his recent health issues (I’m not kidding!–I did not have wheatgrass bags protruding from my purse or a telltale green smoothie in hand!). He then proceeded…”And I even got the flu shot! Seems like I get sick anyway when I get the flu shot!”
Which is when an older gentleman behind me chimed in, agreeing with him: “I don’t get those flu shots anymore, myself!”
Deep down, my health coach heart was hurting. I could understand their woes; they wanted to be healthy, but they were finding no relief in common remedies touted by the medical community at large. Cautiously I introduced myself and mentioned a bit about what I do. Then I said, “You know, it’s really all about whether or not your body is on toxic overload, and, how well you take care of your immune system.” I invited them to take my course, Revive Your Health 101, and thanked them for being open to share. When I left that post office, I wasn’t sure if I’d ever hear from them again, but I knew that a future blog post was burning on my heart! I felt the Holy Spirit prompting me to share about this topic.
So, here it is – thoughts on the flu shot (why to avoid it), and, how you can do much more good for your body in preventative measures.
First of all, let me say that whenever the word “vaccines” is mentioned, conversation can often get rather heated. People are quite adamant about both vaccinating and not vaccinating. Both camps are quick to provide ample studies (validity not necessarily intact) in defense of their position.
As a believer in Jesus, and, as a proponent of natural health, AND, because I do believe there is credible evidence to support the great concern with vaccines, I will be presenting from this position.
May I begin by sharing the CDC’s influenza (flu) shot ingredients list: HERE.
So, I quote:
“Additives used in the production of vaccines may include
suspending fluid (e.g. sterile water, saline, or fluids containing protein);
preservatives and stabilizers to help the vaccine remain unchanged (e.g. albumin, phenols, and glycine); and
adjuvants or enhancers to help the vaccine to be more effective.
Common substances found in vaccines include:
Aluminum gels or salts of aluminum which are added as adjuvants to help the vaccine stimulate a better response. Adjuvants help promote an earlier, more potent response, and more persistent immune response to the vaccine.
Antibiotics which are added to some vaccines to prevent the growth of germs (bacteria) during production and storage of the vaccine. No vaccine produced in the United States contains penicillin.
Egg protein is found in influenza and yellow fever vaccines, which are prepared using chicken eggs. Ordinarily, persons who are able to eat eggs or egg products safely can receive these vaccines.
Formaldehyde is used to inactivate bacterial products for toxoid vaccines, (these are vaccines that use an inactive bacterial toxin to produce immunity.) It is also used to kill unwanted viruses and bacteria that might contaminate the vaccine during production. Most formaldehyde is removed from the vaccine before it is packaged.
Monosodium glutamate (MSG) and 2-phenoxy-ethanol which are used as stabilizers in a few vaccines to help the vaccine remain unchanged when the vaccine is exposed to heat, light, acidity, or humidity.
Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative that is added to vials of vaccine that contain more than one dose to prevent contamination and growth of potentially harmful bacteria.”
So, a shot which is supposed to help you fight disease, has ingredients which have been linked to disease. (Read that again!)
Aluminum is just one example. For just a couple of references to this, check HERE and HERE. I believe that governing agencies and their constituents routinely publish counter-studies to cover up the toxic effects of substances and to make them appear “safe”. Example: HERE.
Let’s travel on down the above list of ingredients: Antibiotics? Those are known to destroy helpful gut bacteria, not only “harmful” bacteria. Formaldehyde? This is a preservative used in many substances we knowingly do not ingest, like the containers in 7th grade science class which contain deceased animal specimens. MSG?? How about some stomach irritation! Thimerosal – containing mercury – (another heavy metal that is toxic to humans)?
What happens when you introduce toxins, like those contained within the flu shot vaccine, into your system? The liver attempts to neutralize them with bile. However, sometimes it can’t because of insufficient alkalinity. The bile then collects in the small intestines in its still-toxic state. Inflammation increases. When the liver is overloaded with toxins that it can no longer neutralize, these toxins can then be released into the bloodstream and pollute the body, leading to…disease. 1
So, it’s not a good idea to increase the burden on your liver, which is arguably the greatest organ for primary filtration in the body.
Good news! There are powerful tools you can keep in your arsenal of weapons against disease.
May I share with you a few of my faves?
FLU-BUSTERS – Anna’s TOP 10 immune boosters
Take according to package instructions and/or under the guidance of a medical professional IF you are already consulting with one and are on medications or have reason for concern. Information shared here is not intended to be diagnostic or to be a specific cure. Use the information wisely, and, to your God-ordained health benefit!
1. Believing Prayer & God’s Word – Get ahold of the Word and meditate on it – repenting of any unbelief, and confessing that Word, speaking it aloud, thinking on it, receiving it…until it becomes truly part of you and you sense it has locked into your spirit. These truths will manifest in your body, too! Psalm 103, 107, Isaiah 53, etc.
2. Eliminate ungodly anger, fear, and other stress – These elements take down your immune system just like sugar, junk food, and other physical toxins do! This is a documented fact in the medical world – I also recommend the Be in Health book by Henry Wright!
3. Restful & Sufficient Sleep – 7 to 9 hours a night. There are several components to great sleep that I’ll touch on in another post.
4. Vitamin C – And, did you know that there is at least just as much vitamin C in the white part of the orange, not just the sugary flesh? Avoid sugar of any type – including fruit sugar – when trying to avoid and defend against sickness. White sugar alters the immune system significantly even after ingesting just one teaspoon of it! It increases the insulin level, which inhibits the release of growth hormones, which in turn suppresses the immune system. I usually take at least 2 of the 1,000mg Kirkland Vitamin C pills (one during the day and one at night – not with dairy!)
5. Olive Leaf Extract – or, chomping on a few dried olive leaves (or, you can use Oil of Oregano, if you prefer.
6. GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) – This is a powerful anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal natural substance that is regularly used to purify water on trans-continental trips. It has been said to get rid of harmful microorganisms while leaving your beneficial gut microbiome (bacteria, etc.) intact. Use it with caution if taking medications or certain supplements, as it can accentuate the effect of them. Even children can take GSE after a certain age!
7. Zinc – zinc incredibly boosts the immune system, helps eliminate toxins, and also supports many beneficial parts of the body, like the adrenal glands (in particular). Beef, (organic) wheat germ, nuts & seeds, oysters, chicken, and beans are a few foods that are normally very high in zinc.
8. Vitamin D/D3 – This produces up to 300 different antimicrobial peptides in your body that destroy harmful bacteria, viruses and even fungi – and, interestingly, mushrooms are a fungi which are said to contain the D vitamin! 2
9. Probiotics – Like Garden of Life Raw probiotics, which contain billions of helpful probiotic microorganisms, and include at least 16 different bacteria strains.
10. Eliminate Sweets & Fruits and Increase Alkaline Veggies! More on this, soon!
What’s great is that the protocol you follow to defeat your risk of flu is also helpful for most ANY kind of illness. You can always benefit by taking the best care of yourself that you can!
1. Bieler, Henry G., MD. (1992 latest printing). Food is Your Best Medicine, pg. 63. New York: Ballantine Books.